Proposed Spicewood hotel, Domain office buildings top development projects in 2017
Many of these commercial or residential projects were announced or in progress last year. Here’s what is happening now.
1. In late November, plans were submitted to the city of Austin for an 11-story boutique hotel called The Spicewood located on Spicewood Springs Road at Yaupon Drive. Developer David Kahn withdrew the plans in December in an effort to meet with area residents to address concerns about traffic congestion and the proposed hotel’s effect on the environment. No new plans were filed in January.
2. Ground broke in December on Domain Tower, an 11-story office building located off Braker Lane near Burnet Road. Domain Tower will have 310,000 square feet of space and be finished in June 2018. Construction on the seven-story parking garage, which began last August, will wrap up in mid-2017.
3. Construction is underway on MoPac Centre, a four-story, 100,000-square-foot office building located at 8611 N. MoPac, Austin. The Kucera Companies is on track to finish the project in November, and the six-story parking garage is already complete.
4. Endeavor Real Estate Group has several office projects in the works at The Domain.
A. Construction will wrap up in February on the Domain 8 office building at 11601 Alterra Parkway, Austin. The 12-story tower will have 290,000 square feet of space. Amazon.com is leasing about 160,000 square feet.
B. Construction could begin in May on Domain 11, 11800 Alterra Parkway, Austin, a 15-story building with 315,000 square feet of space.
C. Domain 12, 11700 Alterra Parkway, Austin, could also begin construction in May. The building will have 17 stories with 310,000 square feet of space.
Although design has not yet begun, Endeavor is planning (D) Domain 9 and (E) Domain 10 on Alterra. The buildings would have around 10 stories and between 200,000 and 250,000 square feet of office space each.
5. The first phase of IMT Residences at Riata was finished Jan. 24, according to developer IMT Residential of Sherman Oaks, California. The development, located at 5705 Diehl Trail, Austin, adjacent to Apple Inc., includes 271 one- and two-bedroom homes. A second phase will add 36 one- and two-bedroom townhomes.
6. Republic Place Apartments at 5708 W. Parmer Lane, Austin, began preleasing in December in anticipation of completing its 290-unit development this summer. Epoch Residential of Winterpark, Florida, is developing the complex, which is located across the street from Apple. This is the third project on the Parmer site that the company has developed.
7. Foundation Communities began construction in January on Cardinal Point Apartments at 11011 1/2 Four Points Drive, Austin. The complex will provide affordable housing to low-income and previously homeless residents. Foundation Communities expects the new development to be ready for residents before the end of 2017.